"We recommend The Gallagher Law Firm if you are looking for a group of attorneys that understand the real business world that we all live in.  We need a fi...

Read More

For More Information

Fill out my online form.
Home / Firm Blog / Real Estate Law / Partition


My sister and I own a house in Mt Pleasant, as tenant in common, and we have a disagreement over who should pay the real estate taxes and expenses. Can I force my sister to join me in selling the house?

The remedy required is a law suit for partition that is used to divide the interests of owners of a single piece of real estate. When co-owners of real estate can’t agree on the use or allocation of expenses for the property, one of the co-owners can file a lawsuit asking the judge to either divide the property among the co-owners (for example a large unplatted property that can be divided) or to order the sale and distribution of the proceeds (for example a subdivision lot that cannot be divided).

Categories: Real Estate Law

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.