Statutory Priority for Appointment:
1. Person, or persons, nominated as Personal Representative in the will.
2. If there is a will, the decedent's surviving spouse if he/she is a devisee.
3. If there is a will, other devisees.
4. Surviving spouse.
5. Other heirs.
6. Suitable nominee of a creditor (if 42 or more days after decedent's death)
7. Public administrator (if either nothing has been filed and it is 42 or more days after death, or the decedent died apparently leaving no blood heirs, or heirs and will distributees are not U.S. citizens) http://countypublicadministrators.com/
Byron P. (Pat) Gallagher, Jr.
Gallagher Law Firm
2001 Abbot Road
East Lansing, MI 48823