Trusted. Insightful. Experienced.


My sister and I own a house in Mt Pleasant, as tenant in common, and we have a disagreement over who should pay the real estate taxes and expenses. Can I force my sister to join me in selling the house?

The remedy required is a law suit for partition that is used to divide the interests of owners of a single piece of real estate. When co-owners of real estate can’t agree on the use or allocation of expenses for the property, one of the co-owners can file a lawsuit asking the judge to either divide the property among the co-owners (for example a large unplatted property that can be divided) or to order the sale and distribution of the proceeds (for example a subdivision lot that cannot be divided).

Categories: Real Estate Law


My wife and I just recently went through the Estate Planning process with The Gallagher Law Firm. We found their service to be excellent. They had everything organized and answered all of our questions. They did a very thorough job explaining the opt…”
– Ken & Gloria O.

Read More From Our Clients

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.